#SelflessSeptember: September is the month to say Thank You!
This month, we’ve made it our mission to put a smile on the faces of the Ballymena community!
It would be an understatement to say that living through a pandemic has been a bit tough on us all, in one way or another. Amongst the doom and gloom, however, it’s been heart-warming to see people pull together and support each other.
Is there someone you’d like to say a special thank you to for lending you a helping hand over the past few months? Perhaps you have a neighbour who ran your errands for you whilst you were self-isolating, or you have a friend who helped you keep your sanity by listening to your weekly updates on how you survived juggling home-schooling and work? Or maybe, there’s a school teacher who’s been amazing at helping ease your little ones back into school in recent weeks?
Whoever it is, why not surprise them with an unexpected treat to say THANK YOU?
Looking for ways to give back? Look no further; we’ve put together this handy little list to help inspire you…
- Set a Dinner Date – For a real treat, why not tell a loved one to meet you at the centre & to arrive hungry! Surprise them by having a table booked at Restaurant Sorrento where you can spend the evening enjoying delicious Italian cuisine whilst you have a serious catch up!
- Treat your bestie to an afternoon of pampering – Perhaps you have a mummy friend who needs a little ‘pick-me-up’ now that the kids have returned to school? Why not book in a Nail Appointment for you both at Angel Nails so that your hands get a little TLC whilst you have a much-needed gossip! You could even pop along to Boots afterwards and pick out a few at-home treatments for a spa evening later on!
- Offer to do the shopping – Sometimes, it’s the small gestures that really mean something. Perhaps you have an elderly neighbour who would really appreciate you picking up their prescription from Semi Chem, or there’s someone in your street who’s working from home and would really appreciate you picking up a few essentials from the centre?
- Get Creative – A great way to get the kids involved in saying ‘Thank You’ whilst keeping them out of mischief is to get creative!! How about popping into The Works and picking up some arts and crafts supplies to make Thank You cards to send to a relative in the post? Think glitter, stickers and colourful cardboard – a guaranteed way to put a smile on the face of any grandparent!
- Say it with Cake – What’s better than a delicious slice of cake?….We say it’s unexpected cake, bought for you, just because! If you’re in the centre and know someone you think deserves a little sweet treat, why not swing by Starbucks and pick up a slice of their favourite before delivering it to their doorstep with a little note to brighten their day?
It’s Good To Talk
We’re working with our charity partner, AWARE, who have put together 5 handy steps <link: https://www.fairhillshopping.co.uk/selfless-september-supporting-each-other-raising-awareness-of-mental-health/> to help improve the emotional wellbeing of everyone living in N.Ireland.
One of the steps AWARE highlight, is the importance of taking time to ‘connect’ with friends and loved ones in order to enrich your every day life. Whilst social distancing rules will be around for the foreseeable future, it’s important to still spend time (safely!) socialising.
Why not arrange a coffee date at Café Nero with a friend you haven’t seen for a while and put the world to rights with a good old natter? Perhaps you have an elderly neighbour who could do with some company; why not surprise them with a sweet treat from the Kiosk? Or invite your parents round for dinner? If life’s a bit busy right now to whip up a culinary masterpiece, you could also choose something scrummy from the Marks and Spencer foodhall.
However you choose to connect, make sure you pop a regular slot in your diary for a catch up with those who you treasure most. Laughing and reminiscing is a sure fire way to boost those feel-good serotonin chemicals in the brain, keeping you healthy and happy as those colder months set in!View All